Trick Or Treat Safety
Halloween is approaching. Kids and adults are looking forward to dressing up and going out to trick or treat in the neighborhood. With a little bit of planning you can ensure your ghouls and goblins have a frightfully fun time this year.
More than twice as many children are killed in pedestrian-car accidents on Halloween between the hours of 4 p.m. and 10 p.m., compared with the same hours on other days throughout the year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Police will be increasing traffic patrols on Halloween in order to keep our kids safe, and to catch drunk drivers.
Protect The Trick Or Treaters
- Instruct your kids to never go into a stranger’s home.
- When shopping for costumes, wigs, and accessories, look for, and purchase, items with a label clearly indicating that they are flame resistant.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors.
- Make sure that any props your kids carry, such as wands or swords, are short and flexible.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on, and never enter a home or car for a treat.
- Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without adult supervision.
- Don’t eat homemade candy unless you know the family.
- Carry a flash light.
- Inspect all wrapped candy. If it has been opened toss it out.
- Set a curfew.
- Clean up your yard.
- Make a clear, well illuminated path to your door.
- Remember that a lot of Halloween decorations, like dried flowers, straw, and crepe paper are highly flammable. Make sure to keep your decorations away from all open flames.
- If you have a large display, make sure all electric cords are taped or secure to prevent tripping.
- Practice indoor fire safety by checking all smoke detectors. Make sure candles are placed in a secure area.
When you combine Home and Auto Insurance, you may also qualify for extras like single deductibles (when your home and car are damaged as a result of the same event), emergency lockout coverage, accidental death benefits, and airbag replacement from accidental deployment.
Contact a representative at Dahlmeier Insurance Agency, Inc. to learn more about the benefits you can receive by combining your home and auto policies.