The big game is here. Did you know your homeowner’s insurance can cover your liability if you injure someone during a tailgate party? However, if you bought your insurance online in 7 minutes, you may not have the right personal insurance coverage. Pre-game tailgating gives us the chance to bond with fellow sports fans over the grill and cold beverages, but it also presents a few hazards that shouldn’t be overlooked. Don’t let a great day be spoiled by a lack of personal insurance. So call us today and we will gladly review your personal insurance coverage.
Tailgating Safety Tips
- Keep food at a safe temperature while transporting from home to the game.
- Keep foods separated in plastic bags.
- When packing the cooler, be sure raw meat and poultry are wrapped securely and separately.
- Don’t let food sit out for hours.
- Even on cloudy days, you may have a need for sunscreen.
- Drink lots of water
- Try to monitor drinking; there is nothing worse than a drunk football fan.
- If you use a grill, make sure you follow all manufacturers safety instructions
- Don’t use a grill close to any vehicles.
- Keep lighter fluid away from grill or heat.
- Always have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit on hand.
- If you use charcoal briquettes, cool them down prior to storage. A good method is to place them in a bucket of water.
Make sure your tailgate area is cleaned up, and waste is disposed of in the correct place after the fun and celebrations. Also, conduct a reconnaissance of the area surrounding your vehicle. Make sure there are no cans, bottles, or anything in the way that you could run over and damage your vehicle.
Remember that the goal is to have a fun and safe time while cheering for your team. We want everyone to get home safe. But if something were to happen, remember you want the right kind of personal insurance to protect yourself.