The holiday season is filled with fun, parties, food, gifts, overeating and unfortunately some risk. One of the fastest growing risks for many people are stolen packages by porch pirates. According to propertycasualty360.com, over 26 million packages are stolen during the holiday season. Need more bad news?
Your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance generally may not cover this loss as it tends to be under your deductible. There could be coverage if you have personal property off premises insurance. Also for theft coverage to apply, generally you need some form of proof of loss
Call our office for a review of your homeowner’s insurance, as each policy is unique to your circumstances.
Things To Do
- Delivery confirmation is a good way to prove the package was delivered.
- Thieves will follow delivery trucks, waiting for the perfect target.
- These thieves commonly strike during working hours as many homes are empty at that time.
- You can insure your packages.
- Consider having a person there when the delivery is scheduled.
- Install a security camera.
High Tech Solutions
There are a few high tech solutions to consider.
- Landport or BoxLock provides a delivery box on your porch that has an electronic lock.
- Amazon Key, which has a fairly simple premise: When a delivery arrives at your house, and you’re not home, the courier scans a barcode that sends a request to Amazon’s cloud. If it’s approved Amazon remotely unlocks your door and starts recording video through the online retailer’s Cloud Cam.
What To Do If A Package Is Stolen
- Track your package. Check the delivery confirmation and tracking number.
- Make sure a neighbor did not pick it up for you.
- Contact the seller. Different retailers have different policies and processes for handling stolen items, but usually, you are entitled to a refund or a replacement item.
- File a claim with the shipping company.
- Check your Credit Cards for Purchase Protection.
We are here to help you in the filing of these kinds of insurance claims. Call our office, and our team will help you determine the most effective claims strategy.
Insurance specialists at Dahlmeier Insurance Agency, Inc. can help coordinate an insurance program and determine the best coverage options for your needs with benefits and quality discounts saving you money.