Return Safe To Your Home After A Wild Fire
Our community has been devastated by wildfires. Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected. As families start to rebuild and return home, it is important to keep a few things in minds.
Important Things To Remember
- Make sure you follow all instructions from local authorities.
- Remember that flash flooding can occur as a result of damaged land
- Make sure you wear protective clothing when cleaning up or walking around your home site. Wear a mask rated N-95 or better while cleaning up.
- A standard vacuum cleaner is not designed for ash clean-up.
- Don’t save potentially hazardous materials.
- Throw away all medications you find.
- Remember there still may be hot spots in or around your property.
- Check for the smell of gas. Report any odors to your local utility.
- Wash all personal property before you use them
- Throw away all food items.
- Toss plastic bottles, like bottles of water that have ash on the caps.
- Start to document all personal property that was damaged or destroyed.
- Walk around your home to make sure it is stable. Have a contractor involved to make sure it is structurally safe.
- Place all ash in plastic bags.
- Don’t try to repair damaged without your insurance company’s involvement. You do have an obligation to protect your property from further damage.
- Don’t touch downed wires.
- Do not drink the water until local authorities give the Ok.
- Finally, use caution and good judgment. Most burned structures will be unstable. Ultimately, you are responsible for your safety and well-being.
Insurance specialists at Dahlmeier Insurance Agency, Inc. serve to help you coordinate an insurance program that determines the best coverage options for your needs – for benefits and quality discounts that help you save.
What does this mean for you? By combining home and auto policies, you may be eligible to receive money-saving discounts, a guaranteed full-year policy term for your car, On Your Side® insurance protection, 24-hour Customer and Claim service, and more.
Contact a representative at Dahlmeier Insurance Agency, Inc. to learn more about the benefits you can receive by combining your home and auto policies.