Is your company interested in reducing operating expenses and California workers’ compensation insurance costs over the long term? Most California firms should concentrate on safety and loss prevention, as it provides the best return on investment. Dahlmeier Insurance Agency can provide your firm with insurance options for your workers’ compensation needs.
An effective safety program will include many different items, but we are going to focus on how to reduce common workers’ compensation injuries.
Here are the body parts most commonly injured:
- Back 24% of injuries
- Hands 10% of injuries
- Shoulder 9% of injuries
- Knee 8% of injuries
Consider these suggestions as part of your safety program:
- Consider pre-work stretching.
- Vary working positions frequently; don’t stand, sit, kneel or squat for long periods.
- Use special equipment when lifting; like lifting straps.
- Wear non-slip boots.
- Review accidents and learn how to prevent future ones.
- Use your legs, and keep your back in a natural position while lifting.
- Mark out clear walkways.
- Review your NCCI classification – Accountants will tell you that most workers compensation programs have a 30-35% error rating when it comes to business classification.
- Do not twist while carrying a load.
- Complete a safety check of equipment; tools, forklifts, etc.
- Provide general ergonomics training and task-specific training to all employees.
- Work with your arms close to your body, not reaching away or overhead.
- Bags, containers, bundles, etc. should be stored in tiers that are stacked, blocked, interlocked, and limited in height so that they are stable and secure to prevent sliding or collapse.
- Post safety reminders in common areas throughout your workplace and hand out fliers with safety tips.
- Change work practices or use equipment to avoid repetitive actions or prolonged tasks.
- Develop a safe worker rewards program. Offer incentives when your firm has reached 90 days with no accidents.
These hazards represent potential pain and suffering for workers as well as reduced productivity for the operations. In order to ensure a safe, orderly and efficient warehouse, it is critical that companies pay close attention to conditions that affect safety and health.
Call Dahlmeier Insurance Agency today for more information.
Dahlmeier Insurance Agency, Inc.