Living With Disasters In California
There is no question living in California has many advantages including; the weather, beaches, and many other fun activities. But there are also risks like wildfires, floods, and earthquakes that make it important to have the right kind of personal insurance.
How To Prepare For The Next Disaster
There are many actions you can do to reduce the chance of having a loss during the next disaster. Most importantly we recommend you have a complete personal insurance review. Our team of friendly and licensed professionals can review your policies and make recommendations as to what kind of coverage you may need to insure you and your family against common disasters founds in California.
- Use non-combustible siding and try to maintain an eight-inch ground-to-siding clearance
- Use fire-resistant plants and gardening materials to reduce spread of fires.
- Regularly clean your roof and gutters. This may keep debris from being ignited by wind-blown embers.
- Maintain six feet of non-combustible around your entire home. Keep a six-foot diameter space of gravel, stone, brick, or concrete in the area next to your home.
- Move boats, trailers/RVs and storage sheds from an area (preferable to a separate storage area), or build defensible space around these items. Remove shrubs under trees, prune branches that overhang your roof, thin trees, and remove dead vegetation by at least six feet.
- Develop an evacuation plan and share it with your family members
- Put together a “go bag” with items necessary to live for a day to two on your own.
- Locate a place in your home that you can go to when an earthquake starts. It should be a spot where nothing is likely to fall on you.
- Keep food supplies, and water for that can last a few days.
- If an earthquake begins get away from windows and other falling objects.
Does Homeowner’s Insurance Cover Wildfire Damage?
Damage as a result of wildfires would most likely be covered by your homeowner’s insurance or renter’s insurance.
Is Earthquake Damage Covered Under A Homeowner’s Policy
A standard homeowner’s and renter’s insurance does not cover loss due to an earthquake. A standard homeowner’s insurance policy will, however, generally cover losses from fire following a quake.
Dahlmeier Insurance Agency, Inc. is your trusted solution for homeowners insurance. We offer coverage options that are both flexible and affordable, and will work with you on an individual basis to find a policy that best suits your needs. Our team is dedicated to providing the assurance that your family and your possessions are secure.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.