California Wild Fire Season Is Here… Are You Prepared?
Every year, wildfires threaten people, businesses, and homes throughout the US, especially those located in or near wilderness areas.
As more and more people and businesses move into rural areas, more people and property are at risk from the dangers of wildfires. Once a wildfire starts in your area, you can’t control it or prevent it from approaching your property. But you can plan in advance to minimize potential damage and injury. Review these wildfire safety tips.
Remember to have your home and business insurance policy reviewed annually, call us today.
- Make sure that fire vehicles can get to your home. Clearly mark all driveway entrances and display your name and address.
- Know your risk. Do some research and learn how often wildfires occur in your area. Find out when there is the greatest risk and take wildfire safety precautions.
- Follow local ordinances when burning yard waste. Avoid backyard burning in windy conditions.
- Develop an evacuation plan for your employee and family that includes a pack with extra supplies.
- Develop green spaces around your home.
- Don’t store wood next to any buildings.
- Plan escape routes away from your home – by car and by foot.
- Keep roofs and gutters clean and free from debris.
- Install non-combustible roofing and siding materials, such as metal, slate, or concrete.
- Have a ladder that reaches your roof.
- Make sure your street address is visible from the street.
- Clear a 10-foot area around propane tanks and the barbecue.
- Rake leaves, dead limbs and twigs. Clear all flammable vegetation.
- Back as many vehicles as possible into the garage. Then close the door. In the event that you evacuate remember to close the garage door behind you as you leave. If you do not have a garage or if yours is full, park your vehicles heading in the direction of the evacuation route.
Contact our Chico or Oroville insurance office online or call 530-342-6421 for a quote on any type of business insurance. Dahlmeier Insurance Agency works with business owners throughout the Northern Sacramento Valley, including Paradise, Yuba, Corning, Colusa and Red Bluff.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.