Oroville Flooding Precautions
We know many of you have been impacted by the evacuations caused by the hazardous situation involving damaged spillways at Lake Oroville. Until we learn otherwise, we expect that large volumes of water will continue to flow into the Feather River and other waterways causing water levels to rise to potential flood stage.
While the crisis appears to have eased somewhat, the situation is still dangerous and evacuations should continue until otherwise notified by authorities. You can access complete Oroville evacuation and emergency service information at http://www.buttecounty.net/.
Here are some important tips to keep in mind when dealing with a flood emergency
During a flood
· Don't attempt to drive through floodwaters.
· Abandon your car if it stalls in an area where there are rapidly rising waters.
· No matter where you are, move to higher ground.
· Move away from rivers, streams, creeks, storm drains and other waterways.
· Avoid walking through floodwaters.
·Obey traffic instructions and detour information. They are being issued for your safety.
After a flood
· The danger caused by floods isn't over when the water recedes, so don't attempt to return home until authorities say it's safe to do so.
· If your car has been submerged, let it dry out thoroughly before trying to start it.
· Use battery-powered flashlights or lanterns to examine the premises. Do not attempt to turn the lights on until you are sure it is safe to do so.
· Boil any water you use for drinking or food preparation until the water supply is declared safe.
· Throw out any food or medicine that has come in contact with flood waters.
· Take wooden furniture outside to dry, but keep it out of direct sun-light to prevent warping.
· Before the house is aired out, scrub all woodwork and floors with a stiff brush.
Dahlmeier Insurance Agency will keep you posted as new information becomes available. Dahlmeier Insurance Agency has been part of this community for more than 65 years and we are dedicated to helping you with any questions you may have. Please don’t hesitate to call us at 530-342-6421.